Manipulation

First, it is true, my silverware is not a matching set. I couldn't tell you where each piece came from originally...but I'd be lucky to find 3 pieces that match.

That's not the story. :)

I was making some yummy banana cake yesterday. Well, it's actually a banana bread recipe, but I don't have a bread pan (I'm sharing all my shameful kitchen secrets with you tonight.), so I use an 8x8 glass pan...and call it cake! Anyway, my boys, as always, wanted to help. They joined me just as I was about to stir in the 2 eggs.

I had Fork #1 in the bowl, ready to stir.
The boys like to have their very own forks when they help, so my oldest went over to the drawer, and got out Fork #2. He brought it to the counter where I was stationed, and he said, "Mama, you want this fork? It's really big!"

I said, "No, thanks...I already have this fork," as I touched the fork in the bowl (Fork #1). It was then that I realized what was going on. My boy likes the very biggest fork or the very biggest spoon (for cereal perhaps). And, when he realized I had the only clean "biggest" fork, he decided to manipulate it out of my possession, by trying to convince me that his fork (Fork #2) was SO big!

He prefers the biggest one, and he's learned that he can't take things away from people. :) I've seen him use this same manipulation tactic on his younger brother. There's a toy that he wants, so he finds a different one, and tries to convince the more naive lad that the second toy holds much more appeal. He usually succeeds, and peacefully obtains the toy of his choice.

He's sly.
And, with a face like this...I think it's going to get him pretty far in life. :)

2 Responses to "Manipulation"

Jamimania (visit their site)

OH MY GOSH. Look at that sweet, yet ornery little face. That is a fantastic story. He's too smart for his own good. Maybe he will be a good manager of people one day, he can manipulate into getting them to do what he needs them to do by making it sound so grand. ha ha.

Thanks for sharing, that was adorable. Oh... and by the way ..I have 3 types of silverware in my drawer, but I have finally graduated (as of this past Christmas) to matching Correll Ware!! WOO HOO. I had been using the old stuff from when we got married - it was 18 years old and had country blue flowers on it. So now we've updated to tan with berries and sage leaves. I'm so excited.

Erika May (visit their site)

a fantastic skill that will be very useful to him as an adult and as a kid, apparently!